Letters 2-5-14

Diagnosis missed; treated too late


Diagnosis missed; treated too late

In December, the Big Island lost a special friend. This was a good man; husband, father, soccer coach, respected member of the martial arts community, and my good friend. He will be missed by many.

When he fell ill, J. sought professional help, and for the last few months, he bounced back and forth from one specialist to another. Many tests were done. And all the while, his pain and suffering worsened, destroying the life he had built for himself and his family.

Fighting for his life, he finally went to a well-known medical facility in California, hoping to be diagnosed correctly and treated accordingly.

It was too late.

The tests they ran could not have been more obvious. Why had no one seen it in time? The cancer had overtaken him and nothing could be done.

Resigned to the inevitable, J. returned home to his family, and after spending his last bit of time and energy going about the business of taking care of things to make it easier for those he would leave behind, he quietly passed away.

When the health care professionals we put our trust in do not do their jobs, someone dies. Someone special, like my dear friend. If a lesson can be learned here, my friend will not have died in vain.

Losing J. is tragic; letting go of the anger is my own lesson to learn.

D. Denny

Ocean View

Mahalo for the aloha shown at tourney

We feel we have to write to make a special thank you to all the helpers and staff at the Mitsubishi Electric Championship golf tournament at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai.

The two of us were making a once-in-a-lifetime visit to your island. We traveled from Spain to Honolulu and on to the Big Island to visit for a few days.

Coming from Kona International Airport on Saturday we decided to call in to see a few hours of the golf tournament. Unfortunately, at one of the refreshment areas Victor left his shoulder bag by the table, this contained his passport, credit card, driver’s license and a large amount of cash.

It was two hours after we realized it was missing. After reporting to the security, head of volunteer, as well as Kelly Fliear, a PGA official, dropped everything and snapped into action to check waste bins and any other area it might have been dropped. They also contacted the police in order to make a report. Unfortunately, we had to leave to the hotel that evening with nothing found.

Early Sunday morning, we went up to the golf course and we were met by Jennifer Carlton from the volunteer group and the great news that another volunteer had found the bag and handed it in. It was all intact. We also learned that the evening before everyone was so concerned and upset for our loss.

We don’t think that anywhere else in the world we would have received the kindness and concern from everyone involved. This is the true spirit of aloha and Hawaii.

Once again thanks to the police, volunteers and PGA officials for their wonderful help, we will never forget this.


Anneli Ornstedt and Victor Soane

Torrevieja, Spain