Second suspect in Old A rape case indicted by grand jury

  • Rape suspect Samuel Latrik is led out of District Court on Tuesday. (Laura Ruminski/West Hawaii Today)
  • Rape suspect Samuel Latrik makes an appearance in District Court on Tuesday. (Laura Ruminski/West Hawaii Today)

KAILUA-KONA — The second suspect in an alleged 2016 rape at Old Kona Airport Park was indicted by a grand jury.

The indictment against 18-year-old Samuel Latrik was filed Monday afternoon. He has been charged with three counts of first-degree sexual assault, second-degree assault, kidnapping, second-degree robbery, third-degree sexual assault and first-degree attempted sexual assault.

ADVERTISING


Latrik, who remains in custody, was scheduled for a preliminary hearing in District Court Tuesday afternoon after a Family Court judge waived his case to adult court proceedings. However, the indictment filing automatically moves the case to 3rd Circuit Court.

On Tuesday, Deputy Prosecutor Sheri Lawson motioned to discharge the District Court case and transfer his $50,000 bail to Circuit Court because the teen had been indicted.

District Court Judge Margaret Masunaga approved the order.

Despite Latrik being an adult, the alleged crime occurred when he was juvenile. Because of that, the case had to first be heard in Family Court where the judge eventually decided to waive jurisdiction.

Lawson said the state decided to proceed with an indictment to expedite the case.

Charges stem from an incident that allegedly occurred on Sept. 3, 2016. Hawaii Police say two boys approached a woman, punched and sexually assaulted her. Police added the boys reportedly fled when confronted by an unidentified person.

Prosecutors filed multiple charges of sexual assault against the first suspect, Tyron Sigrah, 17, in November after a Family Court judge granted a waiver of jurisdiction to adult court. In November, a District Court judge found there was probable cause during a preliminary hearing to continue the teen’s case to Circuit Court.

Lawson said the option to indict Sigrah was not available to her at the time of his District Court hearing last year. A jury trial was originally scheduled in April, however, defense counsel filed a motion to continue trial and pretrial deadlines.

The motion will be heard in 3rd Circuit Court on Jan. 30.

ADVERTISING


Sigrah is facing three counts of first-degree sexual assault, second-degree sexual assault, kidnapping, second-degree robbery, first-degree terroristic threatening and third-degree sexual assault. He pleaded not guilty in December.

Sigrah is currently out on bail but is required to check in with the Hawaii Intake Services Center.