Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer has rescinded his offer of billions of dollars for President Donald Trump’s long-promised border wall.
Schumer’s office told the White House that a proposal to combine wall funding with legal protections for 700,000 younger immigrants living in the U.S. illegally was no longer on the table, a source close to the talks told the New York Daily News on Tuesday.
The president rejected a bipartisan effort last week, and private talks with the New York Democrat ended without an agreement Friday, leading to a three day government shutdown.
Schumer appeared to be playing hardball after facing criticism for ending the shutdown without making a deal on immigration.
White House Office of Budget and Management Director Mick Mulvaney said Tuesday that Trump’s position on protecting immigrants covered by the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program depends on what Democrats offer in exchange.
“We want a large agreement. We want a big deal that solves the reason we have a DACA problem in the first place,” Mulvaney said on CNN’s “New Day.”
“If you simply gave amnesty, whatever you want to call it, to the folks who are here, but don’t solve border security, then you’re simply delaying another DACA problem 10 or 15 years from now,” he added.
Trump has said repeatedly he wants funding from Congress for a border wall that he had promised would be paid for by Mexico. He’s also called for changes to legal immigration laws as well.