Reported pot brownies send 2 Kealakehe students to hospital

KAILUA-KONA — Hawaii Island police responded to Kealakehe High School at 12:15 p.m. Thursday to a report of a female juvenile being transported to the Kona Community Hospital by medics after ingesting a brownie, passing out and experiencing convulsions.

Upon investigation, it was determined that another student had sold her a brownie believed to contain marijuana, the Hawaii Police Department said. The boy was brought to the office, and additional brownies were located upon search, by school officials, of his backpack.

ADVERTISING


A second student was also located in possession of a brownie and had additional marijuana in his backpack, which was located upon search by school officials.

Upon processing of the two male juveniles at the Kealakehe Police Station, a second female juvenile at Kealakehe High School was reported to have experienced a medical emergency related to the ingestion of a brownie. This female juvenile was also transported to the Kona Community Hospital by medics. She was admitted for observation after an elevated heart rate that was not subsiding.

ADVERTISING


The first female juvenile was treated and released.

Anyone with information on the incident asked to contact Officer Mike Thompson via the department’s nonemergency line at 935-3311.