Most Hawaii exchange enrollees don’t use aid
HONOLULU — Federal enrollment numbers for Hawaii’s insurance exchange under President Barack Obama’s health care overhaul show most people who bought plans in the state did so without financial assistance.
Data released by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services on Thursday shows 62 percent of the nearly 8,600 people who bought plans didn’t have aid. That leaves 38 percent who got help buying a plan.
The total signups over six months of open enrollment fell just short of the federal agency’s projection of 9,000 enrollees for Hawaii.
Hawaii Health Connector officials didn’t publicly specify a target number of enrollees, saying they were hoping to reach everyone who was uninsured and eligible for a plan.
Nearly 30 percent of people who bought plans were between ages 55 and 64.
Rules for posting comments
Comments posted below are from readers. In no way do they represent the view of Stephens Media LLC or this newspaper. This is a public forum.
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content but the newspaper is under no obligation to do so. Comment posters are solely responsible under the Communications Decency Act for comments posted on this Web site. Stephens Media LLC is not liable for messages from third parties.
IP and email addresses of persons who post are not treated as confidential records and will be disclosed in response to valid legal process.
Do not post:
- Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
- Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
- Copyrighted materials of any sort without the express permission of the copyright holder.
- Personal attacks, insults or threats.
- The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
- Comments unrelated to the story.
If you believe that a commenter has not followed these guidelines, please click the FLAG icon below the comment.