Friday | October 21, 2016
About Us | Contact | Subscribe

Fire destroys one home, damages two others in Paauilo

An accidental propane gas ignition apparently sparked a Wednedsay evening fire that damaged three homes in Paauilo, according to the Hawaii Fire Department.

Responding to the 5:56 p.m. alarm, firefighters found the Paauilo Hui Loop single-family home engulfed in flames with the fire beginning to burn homes to its mauka and makai sides, according to the department. Once all residents were evacuated from the affected homes and Hawaii Elec, firefighters were able to contain the fire and extinguish it by 9 p.m.

The American Red Cross is assisting the affected families. Disaster volunteers will meet with affected residents and ensure their immediate emergency needs for food, shelter and clothing are met, according to the organization.

The Hawaii Fire Department estimates damage to the homes at $275,000.