Husband, wife face charges of terroristic threatening in Hawi standoff

KEALAKEKUA — A man and woman connected to a Monday standoff in Hawi appeared in District Court for an initial appearance Thursday afternoon.

Britany Wolf, 28, appeared next to her husband, Lucas Wolf, 27. Police previously provided a different spelling for the woman’s first name.


Britany Wolf is facing charges of one count each of first-degree attempted murder, fourth-degree criminal property damage and use of a firearm in the commission of a separate felony; two counts each of first-degree terroristic threatening and first-degree reckless endangering; and three counts each of registration mandatory and permit to acquire.

Lucas Wolf was charged with second-degree terroristic threatening, first-degree terroristic threatening as an accomplice, first-degree reckless endangering as an accomplice, registration mandatory and permit to acquire.

Charges stem from a standoff that occurred Monday at the 3500 block of Alaalae Road in Hawi. According to Hawaii police, the couple exhibited aggressive behaviors toward the the property owner when he attempted to evict them.

As the 56-year-old man left the area, police said, Britany Wolf fired a single shot from a weapon. The victim was not injured and he called 911.

Upon officers’ arrival, Lucas Wolf was located on foot and taken into custody. Britany Wolf was located within a parked truck, however, she refused to comply with officers’ orders to exit the vehicle and made several statements, which led officers to believe she was in possession of a firearm.

The department’s Special Response Team (SRT) responded to the scene and, eventually, crisis negotiators were able to establish communication with the suspect who remained within the parked truck.

As the incident continued, police say, the suspect fired two additional gunshots. One of those shots struck the SRT’s armored vehicle, known as the BearCat, which sustained damage.

Around 5:11 p.m., Britany Wolf surrendered to police and was arrested with no further incident.

On Thursday afternoon, Wendy DeWeese appeared as defense counsel for Britany Wolf and made a special appearance for Lucas. She requested that the court appoint counsel outside the public defender’s office for Lucas.

Bail was also addressed. Deputy Prosecutor Sheri Lawson asked that bail be maintained.

“This is an extremely serious case with extremely serious charges,” Lawson said. “We ask that bail be maintained.”

DeWeese argued for a reduction in bail on behalf of the Wolfs. In regard to Britany, DeWeese said, she doesn’t appear to have a criminal history and the only reason for the bail amount is because of the charge.

“She’s innocent until proven guilty,” DeWeese said.

Defense asked bail be reduced from $303,000 to $50,000 for Britany Wolf.


Lucas Wolf was booked on $26,000 bail. DeWeese requested it be reduced to $10,000.

District Court Judge Margaret Masunaga maintained bail for both Britany and Lucas Wolf. A preliminary hearing has been scheduled for Jan. 29.