Preliminary hearing continued for standoff suspects

  • Lucas and Britany Wolf appear in Kona District Court for their preliminary hearing Monday afternoon facing charges of terroristic threatening and weapon offenses. The charges stem from a standoff on Jan. 22 in Hawi. (Tiffany DeMasters/West Hawaii Today)

KEALAKEKUA — A preliminary hearing was continued until next month for a husband and wife reportedly connected to a standoff in Hawi.

The hearing for Lucas Wolf, 27, and Britany Wolf, 28, began Monday afternoon in Kona District Court. Because of a lack of time to hear all witnesses, it was continued to Feb. 21.


The couple faces various charges that include terroristic threatening and weapon offenses. Britany Wolf is also facing first-degree attempted murder.

Requests for bail reduction were once again denied by District Court Judge Margaret Masunaga. Britany Wolf remains in custody on $303,000 bail and Lucas Wolf on $26,000 bail.

The charges stem from a standoff that occurred Jan. 22 at the 3500 block of Alaalae Road in Hawi. According to Hawaii police, the couple exhibited aggressive behaviors toward the property owner when he attempted to evict them.

As the 56-year-old man left the area, police said, Britany Wolf fired a single shot from a weapon. The victim was not injured and he called 911.

The department’s Special Response Team (SRT) responded to the scene and, eventually, crisis negotiators were able to establish communication with the suspect who remained within the parked truck.

As the incident continued, police say, the suspect fired two additional gunshots. One of those shots struck the SRT’s armored vehicle, known as the BearCat, which sustained damage.

On Monday, the property owner testified the couple had lived on his property for about three months and had been living out of their truck. He had no issues with them until Jan. 19 when a camper on his land reported being assaulted by Britany Wolf.

The landowner testified he was unable to have a productive conversation regarding the alleged assault when he spoke to them on Jan. 19 and then again on Jan. 22.

The second witness on Monday was Hawaii Police Department Officer Dominic Uyetake with the Kona Criminal Investigation Section. He testified that on Jan. 22, he was ordered to report to the North Kohala station. He was told a male party had been arrested and female was barricaded in a truck in Hawi.

Uyetake told the court he went to the scene of the standoff, which ended peacefully at about 5:11 p.m. He participated in executing a search warrant on the truck.

The officer recovered a .22-caliber long gun and 12-gauge shotgun from the front seat of the truck. In and on the center console there was ammunition.

Uyetake testified a 9 mm handgun was found in the backseat behind the passenger seat and three spent 9mm shell casings were recovered — two inside the truck and one outside on the ground.

Uyetake said he didn’t observe anything that appeared to be drug paraphernalia or illegal drugs at the scene.


Britany Wolf is facing charges of one count each of first-degree attempted murder, fourth-degree criminal property damage and use of a firearm in the commission of a separate felony; two counts each of first-degree terroristic threatening and first-degree reckless endangering; and three counts each of registration mandatory and permit to acquire.

Lucas Wolf was charged with second-degree terroristic threatening, first-degree terroristic threatening as an accomplice, first-degree reckless endangering as an accomplice, registration mandatory and permit to acquire.