Not guilty pleas entered in Puako robbery

  • Aaron Melin appears in Circuit Court Wednesday for his arraignment along with co-defendant Ryhan Rickman for charges in the Jan. 7 assault and robbery in Puako. (Laura Ruminski/West Hawaii Today)

  • Ryhan Rickman, left, and Aaron Melin appear in Circuit Court Wednesday for their arraignments for charges in the Jan. 7 assault and robbery in Puako. (Photos by Laura Ruminski/West Hawaii Today)

KEALAKEKUA — A Hilo man and woman have entered not guilty pleas in a reported robbery in the Puako area last month.

Aaron Melim, 34, and Rhyan Rickman, 27, appeared in 3rd Circuit Court on Wednesday where each pleaded not guilty and demanded a jury trial, which was scheduled for June 4.

ADVERTISING


Melim faces charges of second-degree robbery, accomplice to unauthorized entry into a vehicle and second-degree assault. Rickman was charged with robbery, accomplice to second-degree robbery, accomplice to second-degree assault and accomplice to unauthorized entry into a vehicle.

The charges stem from a reported robbery that occurred on Jan. 7 near Puako Boat Ramp in South Kohala. A third suspect in the case is still at large.

Melim and Rickman were located in the Papaikou area on Jan. 10 and charged the following day after a search warrant on the vehicle they were found in revealed stolen property from the alleged victim.

The pair are being held at Hawaii Community Correctional Center on $9,000 bail each. Third Circuit Court Judge Robert D.S. Kim ordered updated bail studies for Melim and Rickman, who are to be returned to the court in 10 days.

A preliminary hearing occurred for the two defendants on Jan. 15 and continued to Jan. 29 at the South Kohala District courthouse. During the first day of the hearing, the victim took the stand, recounting the incident, telling the court he’d went to meet with Rickman, a friend who asked for gas money. But when they arrived at an empty lot near the boat ramp, two men got out of the backseat of Rickman’s car.

The victim testified he was assaulted and “left for dead” by two men and a woman. During the incident, the victim’s car was entered and items were removed, including a Vans backpack, CD deck, work belt and a cellphone.

ADVERTISING


The victim was ultimately hospitalized at North Hawaii Community Hospital where he learned he suffered a fractured bone above his right eye and a laceration on the head.

The victim retook the stand on Jan. 29 where he testified he ended up being hospitalized for two and a half days. He also described to the court having to crawl out to the road to get help after the alleged beating.

  1. burned_out February 7, 2019 2:50 pm

    This is why we should be allowed to concealed carry. This kind of crime would not happen if the criminals thought the victim might be armed. But the honourable Police chief tyrant wants you to call 911. I’ll bet the honourable police chief carries a concealed gun.
    If I ever get attacked in this manner you anti gun types better get good security, because I will see nothing, I will say nothing, to save your butts, when you are attacked, I’ll just walk away as I call 911.


    1. paul February 7, 2019 5:21 pm

      well said….ok to call 911 but NEVER depend on 911…police chief should be fired….the good citizen should always have the right to defend themselves…and I don’t give a crap what the law says..mahalo


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Star-Advertiser's TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email hawaiiwarriorworld@staradvertiser.com.