• Senior ID card giveaway, 9 a.m. to noon, West Hawaii Civic Center – Building B, Kona. Info: 323-4320.
• Kailua-Kona Seniors meeting, 10 a.m. at the Hawaii Civic Center for free movie day, seniors 55 and up. “First Man,” about the first man on the moon, will be shown. No meeting at Hale Halawai.
• Rotary Club of Kona Sunrise meeting, 7 a.m. at Humpy’s Restaurant. Speaker is Ken Love on how you can help Big Island Farmers – taking an extra step. Info: Donna Urban-Higuchi, 938-5137.
• Keiki Story Time, 10-11 a.m. at Kona Stories. Children enjoy stories, crafts and a snack. $5 participation fee to cover crafts and snack. RSVP to 324-0350 or KS@konastories.com.
• “Smallfoot” movie matinee, rated PG, 2-4 p.m. at the Kealakekua Public Library. Free. Smallfoot turns the Bigfoot legend upside down when a bright young Yeti finds something he thought didn’t exist — a human. Free popcorn will be served and beverages in closed containers will be allowed. Info: 323-7585.
• Beginning Knitting, 4:30 p.m. at the Kealakekua Public Library. A one-hour class to learn the skills to knit a dishcloth. Suitable for ages 8 and up, limited to the first 8 patrons. All materials provided. RSVP required. Call 323-7585 for reservation.
• Read Aloud Shakespeare, 6-7:30 p.m. at Keauhou Shopping Center, featuring “Romeo and Juliet.” Participants take turns reading the parts: no previous Shakespeare or acting ability required. Info: Joy Vogelgesang, 557-0694.
• “Essential Oils for Healthy Kids,” 6:15-7:15 p.m. at Living Touch Natural Health Spa, 75-5719 Alii Drive, Kailua-Kona. Learn natural solutions as a first line of defense against bacterial and viral infections. Info: email@example.com, www.mydoterra.com/chantal, 896-9164.
• Friends of the Children of West Hawaii free activities for children, 4-6 p.m. at the Keauhou Shopping Center. Learn how to fold origami! Drop in for as long as you like, no need to stay all two hours. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org, 331-2425, or Facebook @FriendsWestHawaii.
• Bread baking at the Portuguese stone oven, 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Kona Historical Society. Info: konahistorical.org, 323-3222.
• Jimi Jeff & the Gypsy Band Hendrix tribute, 6 p.m. at Dolphin Spit Saloon, 75-5629 Kuakini Highway, Kailua-Kona. Free celebration of the music of Jimi Hendrix. Info: 326-7748.
• Navigating challenging conversations workshop, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at Hawaii Community College, Palamanui. $85 tuition, includes lunch, RSVP at https://whmediation.org/workshops. Learn skills and tools to engage in honest conversations around sensitive subjects and a productive process to navigate challenging conversations.
• BBQ Friday at Kona Elks Club at 6 p.m. Your choice of steak, fish, or chicken $15. Call 329-2616 for reservations.
* JUNE 1
• Eighth annual Hawaii Island American Cancer Society Bark For Life canine event to fight cancer. Celebrate Relay For Life with the caregiving qualities of our four-legged loved ones! Registration 8 a.m., ceremonies 8:30-11 a.m. at Lili’uokalani Park & Gardens in Hilo. Bone scavenger hunt, agility presentation, dog fashion show and more. Info and registration: http://www.relayforlife.org/barkhilohi or Sarah Luchenbill at 935-9763.
• Community Seed Library: Pest and disease control, 10-11 a.m. at the Kealakekua Public Library. Micah Barker of Bio-Scape Hawaii LLC who will present a free, in-depth workshop on ways to manage Hawaiian landscapes holistically to diminish pest and disease issues. Info: 327-4327.
• Summer reading kickoff, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Kailua-Kona Public Library. “A Universe of Stories,” sponsored by Friends of the Libraries, Kona, features activity stations with NASA Solar System Ambassadors Nancy Tashima and Maureen Salmi, face painting with Jennifer Ching, collaborative coloring activities, and a space themed photo booth. Info: 327-4327.
• 11th annual Mauka Talent Show, 5:30-9 p.m. at SKEA. Great food, entertainment, and prizes; benefits The Society for Kona’s Education & Art. Admission is $10 for adults and $5 for children under 12. If you would like to perform, please call Ali Rabin, 896-2944. Info: email@example.com or call 328-9392.
• Chamber Orchestra of Kona in concert, 7-8:30 p.m. at The Hualalai Center, 75-170 Hualālai Road, Kailua-Kona. A free hour of orchestral music featuring a piano concert by Grieg, “The Swan” by Saint-Saens, “Academic Festival Overture” by Brahms and music from “The Four Seasons” by Vivaldi. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org, www.chamberorchestraofkona.com, 494-8784.
* JUNE 2
• Chamber Orchestra of Kona in concert, 4-5:30 p.m. at The Hualalai Center, 75-170 Hualālai Road, Kailua-Kona. A free hour of orchestral music featuring a piano concert by Grieg, “The Swan” by Saint-Saens, “Academic Festival Overture” by Brahms and music from “The Four Seasons” by Vivaldi. Info: email@example.com, www.chamberorchestraofkona.com, 494-8784.
* JUNE 3
Senior ID card giveaway, 10 a.m. to noon, Kohala CSE old Bank of Hawaii building, Kohala. Info: 889-6502.
* JUNE 4
Senior ID card giveaway, 9 a.m. to noon, Walmart, Kona. Info: 323-4320
* JUNE 5
• Senior ID card giveaway, 1-3 p.m., Hale Hau’oli Senior Center, Honoka’a. Info: 775-7503
• Kailua-Kona Seniors meeting, 10 a.m. at Hale Halawai. June birthdays, game day with bingo and board games.
* JUNE 6
• Home and condo owners have the opportunity to get their questions answered from experts in the fields of escrow, financing, relocation and home preparation during a free Sellers Seminar, 10:30 a.m. to noon. The Sellers Seminar is the first in a series sponsored by Clark Realty and held at the Waikoloa Village Association Community Room. Info: Christina Macias at 754-1274 / cmacias.clarkhawaii.com, or Jen McGeehan at 747-2365 / jmcgeehan.clarkhawaii.com.
* JUNE 7
• Kona Orchid Society meeting, 6 p.m. at the Bridge building, Makua Lani School, 74-4966 Kealakaa St., Kailua-Kona. Speaker Geneva Sanger of Akatsuka Orchids will provide flasks of hybridized orchids for people to pot up and take home. Light supper at 6:15 and program starts a little before 7 p.m. Info: Kathy Penwell, (808) 938-6123.
• Senior ID card giveaway, 9 a.m. to noon, McDonald’s – Kona Commons. Info: 323-4320
* Daifukuji Orchid Club hosting a guest speaker at our meeting on June 12 at the Daifukuji Hall, 79-7241 Mamalahoa Highway in Kealakekua. Dinner is at 6:30 p.m. with the presentation and meeting to follow. Free. The speaker will be Karen Kimmerle, who has been growing orchids for over 40 years, first as a hobbyist then as a commercial venture. She is also active in the Hilo Orchid Society and is an accredited judge with the American Orchid Society. Her talk is called “Vanda Culture in Hawaii.”
• Kona Traffic Safety Committee meeting, 4:30-6 p.m. To discuss traffic issues with public officials who can make a difference. Everyone is welcome in the Mayors Conference Room of the West Hawaii Community Center on Kealakakehe Parkway. Second floor Building C above the License Bureau (DMV)
• Kailua-Kona Seniors Treasure Sale, 9 a.m. to noon at Hale Halawai. Bargains galore for men, women and children.
* Annual preservation seminars on Kauai, Maui, O’ahu and Hawai’i Island will utilize a case study approach this year harnessing the experience and expertise of local communities in Hawaii. Project leaders/stewards will share island-specific preservation projects noting goals, challenges, lessons learned and advice for others working on similar projects. The Kona meeting is 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Hawaii Community College – Palamanui, Panini 126 & 127, 73-4225 Ane Keohokalole Highway in Kailua-Kona. Free. Pre-registration required. Info: www.historichawaii.org.
* JUNE 19
• Kailua-Kona Seniors meeting, 10 a.m. at Hale Halawai. Father’s Day pancake breakfast. Members only.
* Kona-Kohala Chamber of Commerce’s networking event, AfterHours, 5-7 p.m. Wednesday, June 19 at Daylight Mind Coffee Company, located at 75-5770 Alii Drive in Kailua-Kona. General admission is $30; $15 for Chamber members and first-time non-members. Registration and prepayment is required; register at www.kona-kohala.com. For info, contact the Chamber at 329-1758 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* JUNE 20
• Kupuna Singles lunch, 11:30 a.m. at Chubby’s in the bowling alley. Info: 937-9732.
* JUNE 21
Kailua-Kona Seniors bowling day at Extreme Bowling Alley, 9 a.m. An hour of exercise and fun.
* JUNE 26
• Senior ID card giveaway, 9 a.m. to noon, West Hawaii Civic Center – Building B, Kona. Info: 323-4320
• Kailua-Kona Seniors movie day, 10 a.m. at the Civic Center. The film “Three Identical Strangers” features triplets adopted by different families meeting in college. Everyone 55 years or older is invited.