Friday, Sept. 22, 2023 |
Share this story
• Free Tuesday night movies at Privateer’s Cove, 75-170 Hualalai Road, Kailua-Kona. Classic pre-1970s movie at 6 p.m.; late-night movie at 8 p.m.
• Free veterans coffee, 9-11 a.m. at Privateer’s Cove, 75-170 Hualalai Road, Kailua-Kona. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org, 557-5833.
• Kona Civil Air Patrol squadron meetings, 6-8:30 p.m. at Keahole Kona Airport. Info: m.johnsonCAP@gmail.com.
• Kona Men’s Group, 6:30-8:30 p.m. at 75-148 Hualalai Road, Kailua-Kona. Free group supports and challenges men in improving themselves, relationships, and careers. Info: email@example.com, (843) 224-9493.
• Dance for PD, 10 a.m. at Kona Dance and Performing Arts. Donation-based. Dance class for people with Parkinson’s. Info: www.konadanceand performingarts.org, 657-4473.
• Tech Tuesdays, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Kealakekua Public Library. Free one-on-one help session for basic tech questions, first-come, first-served; bring your device(s) with you. Info: 323-7585.
• Christmas kanikapila, 5:30-6:30 p.m. at the Kailua-Kona Public Library. Free performance of traditional seasonal favorites. Suitable for all ages, sing along or just listen to the music. Info: 327-4327.
• “Coffee with a Cop” 7-9 a.m. at the Kailua-Kona Public Library.
• West Hawaii SBDC presents “How to Write a Business Plan,” 9-11:30 a.m. (registration 8:45 a.m.) at Hale Iako in Suite 119, 73-970 Makako Bay Drive, Kailua-Kona. Learn about how to construct a Business Plan for your business, including developing a mission, outlining a marketing plan projecting revenue and planning staffing. Registration is $20, register online at www.hisbdc.org, or call 333-5000 for more information.
• Kailua-Kona Seniors meeting, 10 a.m. at Hale Halawai. Celebrating December birthdays, playing Bingo, Scrabble, and Rummikub. Info: 329-1951.
• Blues, Brews & BBQ, 6 p.m. at Ola Brew. Join Ronnie V. and the Family Band for a free session of blues. Info: www.olabrewco.com.
• Free events at the Kealakekua Public Library today: 2-4 p.m. matinee of “Elf” starring Will Ferrell, free with free popcorn; 4:30-5:30 p.m. knitting group, bring your knitting projects and socialize with knitters of all skill levels, bring your own supplies; 5:30-6:30 p.m. presentation on the upcoming Decennial Census, including how it affects our communities and the importance of a complete and accurate count. Event info: 323-7585.
• Bread baking at the Portuguese stone oven, 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Kona Historical Society. Info: konahistorical.org, 323-3222.
• Free Thursday night movies at Privateer’s Cove, 75-170 Hualalai Road, Kailua-Kona. Family movie at 6 p.m.; cult classic at 9 p.m.
• Senior citizen ID cards, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Keauhou Shopping Center, Kailua-Kona. Info: 323-4320, firstname.lastname@example.org.
* DEC. 6
• Mah jong play, 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at Privateer’s Cove, 75-170 Hualalai Road, Kailua-Kona. Free. Open to American and Chinese-style players. Info: email@example.com, 557-5833.
• Hui Laulima monthly meeting, 10:30 a.m. to noon at the Salvation Army, 75-223 Kalani St., Kailua-Kona. Public attendance is welcomed. The Hui welcomes Alice Bratton, County of Hawaii, Office of Aging. Info: Linda Jeffrey (firstname.lastname@example.org) or 989-4241.
• Poinsettia paper decoration craft, 4-5 p.m. at the Kealakekua Public Library. Learn to make pretty poinsettias to display in your home. Suitable for teens and adults, RSVP online at www.librarieshawaii.org. All materials will be provided. Info: 323-7585.
* DEC. 7
• Board game night with HawaiiCon, 5-10 p.m. at Privateer’s Cove, 75-170 Hualalai Road, Kailua-Kona.
* DEC. 8
• Dances of Universal Peace, 5-6:30 p.m. at the New Thought Center in Kealakekua. Sing and dance for peace, experience spiritual ecstasy. Songs drawn from the Earth’s sacred traditions, and other songs of peace. Newcomers welcomed, Dress casual, no previous experience or dance partner needed. $3-10 donation appreciated. Info: Swami, 323-3344.
* DEC. 9
• Vibrant Hawaii presents “Trauma Informed Care,” a free workshop in partnership with Danny Goya, Partners In Development, 8:30-11:30 a.m. at the West Hawaii Civic Center’s Liquor Commission Conference Room, Building B, 2nd Floor. Gain a deeper understanding of Adverse Childhood Experiences and get practical tools, resources, and strategies to identify and support those with unresolved trauma. Faith leaders, social service providers, educators, and more are encouraged to attend.
* DEC. 10
• “Coffee with a Cop” 7-9 a.m. at the Kona Commons McDonalds.
* DEC. 11
• Kailua-Kona Seniors meeting, 10 a.m. at Hale Halawai. Annual Christmas Luncheon (members only). Installation of officers for 2020. Info: Jean, 329-1951.
* Daifukuji Zen Temple offers “A Zen Evening” with Roshi Joshin Althouse at 6 p.m. Meditation and talk on Zen and Mindfulness. Roshi Althouse is a co-founder of the Zen Life & Meditation Center in Illinois. 79-7241 Mamalahoa Highway, (808) 322-3524. www.daifukuji.org
• Kona Parkinson’s Support Group, 1-3 p.m. at West Hawaii Community Health Center, conference room A. Info: Tom St John, (925) 785-6093, email@example.com.
* DEC. 14
• Mauna Kea Quilters monthly meeting, 9:30 a.m. to noon in the meeting room of the Thelma Parker Memorial Library in Waimea. Business meeting, show and tell, and sharing of new ideas and techniques. Info: Becky Parkinson, 937-2159.
• Teshima’s Winter Crafts Fair, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Teshima’s restaurant. Handmade crafts/gifts from local vendors, musical entertainment and games, and more. Interested vendors or those wanting more information can see a Teshima’s cashier for details.
* DEC. 16
• Final installment of “talk story” sessions on the Life of Kamehameha the Great, with local storyteller and historian Boyd Bond, 6:30-7:30 p.m. at the North Kohala Public Library. He will discuss Holding the Kingdom. Suitable for ages 18 and older.
* DEC. 18
• Kailua Kona Seniors attend the free movie, 10 a.m. at the Civic Center, featuring “Miracle on 34th Street,” original 1947 version. Info: Kelly, 327-3565.
* DEC. 20
• Kailua Kona Seniors bowling day, 9 a.m. at KBXtreme Bowling Alley. Info: Joan, 329-1951.
* DEC. 25
• No meeting of the Kailua-Kona Seniors. Next meeting Jan. 8. Info: Joan, 329-1951.
* JAN. 4
• Blue Zones Project Celebration, 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Waimea Center center court area. Celebrate the Health & Wellness Movement in North Hawaii and kick off the new year with live entertainment, bicycle smoothies, food samples from local restaurants, plant giveaways, keiki ativities and more.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *