Friday, Sept. 22, 2023 |
Share this story
• Kailua-Kona Seniors meeting, 10 a.m. at Hale Halawai. Annual Christmas luncheon (members only). Installation of officers for 2020. Info: Jean, 329-1951.
• “The Grinch” movie matinee, 2-4 p.m. at the Kealakekua Public Library. Free, with free popcorn. Info: 323-7585.
• The Trilites performance, 5:30-6:30 p.m. at the Kealakekua Public Library. Free music of substance that is both heartfelt and uplifting. Info: 323-7585.
• Kona brain injury support group meeting, 6-8 p.m. at Hawaiian Rehab Services. Guest speaker is Chantal Mitsumura, DoTerra wellness advocate talking on essential oils. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org, 896-2962.
• Free veterans coffee, 9-11 a.m. at Privateer’s Cove, 75-170 Hualalai Road, Kailua-Kona. Info: email@example.com, 557-5833.
• Kiwanis Club of Kailua-Kona meeting, 5:30 p.m. at the Salvation Army Kona Community Center, 75-223 Kalani St., Kailua-Kona, 329-7878. All visiting Kiwanis and prospective members are invited to attend. Guest speaker is Honorable District Judge Margaret Masunaga. Potluck dinner afterward; confirm your reservation at KailuaKona4Kiwanis@gmail.com.
• Daifukuji Zen Temple offers “A Zen Evening” with Roshi Joshin Althouse at 6 p.m. Meditation and talk on Zen and Mindfulness. Roshi Althouse is a co-founder of the Zen Life &Meditation Center in Illinois. 79-7241 Mamalahoa Highway, (808) 322-3524. www.daifukuji.org.
• Bread baking at the Portuguese stone oven, 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Kona Historical Society. Info: konahistorical.org, 323-3222.
• Free Thursday night movies at Privateer’s Cove, 75-170 Hualalai Road, Kailua-Kona. Family movie at 6 p.m.; cult classic at 9 p.m.
• Children’s puppet show, 3:30-4:30 at the Kealakekua Public Library. Free fun and interactive puppet show to welcome the holiday season. Info: 323-7585.
• Hawaii Homeownership Center first time homebuyer assistance review, 6-7 p.m. at the West Hawaii Civic Center Liquor Conference Room. Free workshop on various down payment assistance and loan programs available to first-time homebuyers and turning your dream of homeownership into a reality. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org, www.hihomeownership.org/orientations.html, (877) 5723-9503.
• Kona Parkinson’s Support Group, 1-3 p.m. at West Hawaii Community Health Center, conference room A. Info: Tom St John, (925) 785-6093, email@example.com.
• West Hawaii County Band free Friday concert, 6:30 p.m. at Hale Halawai, featuring “Sleigh Ride,” “White Christmas” “Mele Kalikimaka” and more. Info: http://www.westhawaiiband.com
* DEC. 14
• Mauna Kea Quilters monthly meeting, 9:30 a.m. to noon in the meeting room of the Thelma Parker Memorial Library in Waimea. Business meeting, show and tell, and sharing of new ideas and techniques. Info: Becky Parkinson, 937-2159.
• Teshima’s Winter Crafts Fair, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Teshima’s restaurant. Handmade crafts/gifts from local vendors, musical entertainment and games, and more. Interested vendors or those wanting more information can see a Teshima’s cashier for details.
• Board game night with HawaiiCon, 5-10 p.m. at Privateer’s Cove, 75-170 Hualalai Road, Kailua-Kona.
* DEC. 15
• Chamber Orchestra of Kona holiday concert, 4:30 p.m. at Privateers Cove at the Hualalai Center. Featuring holiday favorites like “Sleigh Ride,” “Silent Night,” “Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24” and more. Tickets $10, students under 18 admitted free. Info/tickets: www.chamberorchestraofkona.com/concerts.html, 494-8784.
* DEC. 16
• Final installment of “talk story” sessions on the Life of Kamehameha the Great, with local storyteller and historian Boyd Bond, 6:30-7:30 p.m. at the North Kohala Public Library. He will discuss Holding the Kingdom. Suitable for ages 18 and older.
• Chamber Orchestra of Kona holiday concert, 6:30 p.m. at Privateers Cove at the Hualalai Center. Featuring holiday favorites like “Sleigh Ride,” “Silent Night,” “Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24” and more. Tickets $10, students under 18 admitted free. Info/tickets: www.chamberorchestraofkona.com/concerts.html, 494-8784.
• Kona Community Hospital Auxiliary monthly board meeting, 12:30 p.m. in Conference Room 2. All members and any person interested in becoming a volunteer are invited to attend. Info: KCHAuxiliary@hotmail.com or www.KCHAuxiliary.org.
* DEC. 18
• Kailua Kona Seniors attend the free movie, 10 a.m. at the Civic Center, featuring “Miracle on 34th Street,” original 1947 version. Info: Kelly, 327-3565.
* DEC. 20
• Kailua Kona Seniors bowling day, 9 a.m. at KBXtreme Bowling Alley. Info: Joan, 329-1951.
* DEC. 22
• Serenity Sunday program, 9-10:30 a.m. at Daifukuji Zen Buddhist Temple in Honalo, featuring meditation, Qi Gong, and a talk on yoga by Liz Aschenbrenner. Info: 322-3524, www.daifukuji.org.
* DEC. 25
• No meeting of the Kailua-Kona Seniors. Next meeting Jan. 8. Info: Joan, 329-1951.
* JAN. 4
• Blue Zones Project Celebration, 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Waimea Center center court area. Celebrate the Health &Wellness Movement in North Hawaii and kick off the new year with live entertainment, bicycle smoothies, food samples from local restaurants, plant giveaways, keiki ativities and more.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *