When considering options for reopening the Big Island:
1. Only allow hotels and resorts to open. The amount of rooms available, is the amount of visitors allowed.
2. Keep Private Vacation rentals/Air BnBs closed. Business does not belong in our neighborhoods.
3. Hire unemployed workers to act as island guides, to enforce restrictions and educate visitors.
4. Establish charges for popular visitor attractions/parking.
5. Market Hawaii Island as “The Healing Place,” instead of “Adventureland,” to draw more respectful, caring visitors.
We have a chance to do this right, not only for the people of Hawaii, but also for the visitors that we welcome here.
Let’s put our heads together and do the right thing while we have the chance.
The great Rickey Henderson
I am coming straight out and saying Rickey Henderson is the greatest player in Major League Baseball history. Not only is Mr. Henderson the greatest all time stolen base leader (1,406) by a mile, he is also the leader in runs scored with 2,295, which is staggering and most important stat to me in MLB History for he put points on the scoreboard.
In addition, he had 3,055 hits, 297 home runs and 1,115 RBIs. Henderson did it all as he won a Gold Glove and two World Series Championships.
The great Dave Winfield called Henderson the best lead-off hitter in Major League history. No disrespect to Winfield, but, that is short changing the Henderson. In my book, he is the greatest player in Major League history for he definitely did it all. Enough said.
Letters to the editor should be 300 words or less and will be edited for style and grammar. Submit online at www.westhawaiitoday.com/?p=118321, via email to email@example.com.