Man killed by police died from single gunshot wound to shoulder

Big Island police detectives are continuing the investigation into an officer-involved shooting incident that occurred on Sunday evening that left the suspect 34-year-old Ryan Yukiharu Santos dead.

Autopsies were performed Tuesday on Santos and on his 91-year-old grandfather with the pathologist determining that Santos died from a single gunshot wound to the left shoulder area. The final autopsy report is pending toxicology results, according to the Hawaii Police Department.


Santos’ grandfather died from an acute heart attack that he suffered during the course of this incident, police said.

South Hilo patrol officers responded to a 7:10 p.m. Sunday call of a physical domestic at a residence on Mokuhonua Lane in Hilo, according to the Hawaii Police Department. Upon arrival, officers attempted to contact the occupants of the residence.

A man then came out of the rear of the residence with a semi-automatic rifle and opened fire on the officers at the scene, police said. One officer, a 13-year veteran of the department, returned fire and struck the suspect.


During the course of the incident, Santos’ grandfather appeared to go into cardiac arrest. He was transported by medics to Hilo Medical Center where he was later pronounced dead.

Anyone who may have information about this incident should call the department’s nonemergency line at (808) 935-3311 or Detective John Balberde of the Area I Criminal Investigation Section at (808) 961-2386 or via email at

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Star-Advertiser's TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email