Hawaiian Volcano Observatory and field units confirm that the volcanic eruption activity continues in Leilani Subdivision. At this time eruptive activity is increasing and is expected to continue. HVO reported two new vents, Makamae and Leilani and on Kahukai Street have surfaced.
Due to the eruption, the following are issued:
• All residents in Leilani Estates and Lanipuna Gardens Subdivisions have been placed on evacuation notice due to volcanic activity and smoke hazards. Please understand the unpredictability of these hazards. The American Red Cross and the Department of Parks and Recreation have opened shelters at the Pahoa Community Center and the Kea’au Community Center for your use.
• The Department of Water Supply has issued an emergency water status for all areas ocean side of Leilani Estates. This is due to the main water lines being impacted by lava activity. All residences in the Kapoho area will be affected by this water shortage. Water spigots have been installed near the entrance of Lava Tree State Park, and a water tanker has been placed in Vacationland for public access.
• HELCO reports that power has been interrupted to the Leilani Estates Subdivision due to lava affecting power lines. HELCO crews are standing by and monitoring the situation. Updates will be provided as information becomes available.
• Hawaii Fire Department reports extremely dangerous air quality conditions due to high levels of Sulfur Dioxide gas in the evacuation area. The elderly, children, and people with respiratory problems are especially vulnerable.
• The high levels of Sulphur Dioxide are a threat to all who become exposed. All are asked to be on the extreme alert regarding exposure to sulphur dioxide.
• The area continues to be unstable, with multiple volcanic eruptions happening, and related hazards of earthquake and poisonous gases. Please heed all evacuation advisories.
County, State and Federal partners continue to monitor the situation. You will be informed of any conditions that affect your safety. The next update will be at 6 p.m. or earlier if necessary.