The Hawaiian Volcano Observatory (HVO) has reported a new fissure 22 at 9 a.m. this morning.
Several fissures have gone active with lava spatter and flow. Forty structures have been reported destroyed as of this morning.
Due to increasing SO2, eruptive and fissure development the following policies are in effect:
• Leilani Estates evacuees must be alert to possible decreased availability of access.
• If your property is not accessible, contact Civil Defense for the possibility of escort.
• No access is allowed at this time for residents of Lanipuna Gardens due to high levels of dangerous volcanic gases.
For your information:
• Checkpoints along Highway 137, 132 and 130 are limited to resident access only.
• No trespassing. Under Emergency Provisions, any looting or vandalism during an emergency will be treated as a felony and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
• Pahoa Post Office is reopened.
To help our residents, we are distributing free masks for ash protection.
• Distribution will continue today from 1pm to 7pm at Cooper Center and Ocean View Community Center.
• One mask per family member. Masks DO NOT protect against gasses and vapors. They will only provide filtering for ash.