KAILUA-KONA — Hawaii County Civil Defense reports that five emergency shelters have been opened in North Kohala, South Kohala, North Kona and South Kona due to the potential effects of Hurricane Lane. No mandatory evacuation has been ordered.
These shelters are open for convenience, and there is no mandatory evacuation at this time, Civil Defense said. The shelters are available if people need to relocate.
The following shelters are open
– Konawaena High School Gym, 81-1043 Konawanea School Road, Kealakekua
– Hookena Elementary School, 86-4355 Mamalahoa Highway, Captain Cook
– Kamehameha Park Hisaoka Gym, 54-382 Kamehameha Park Road, Kapaau *Pet Friendly
– Kealakehe High School, 74-5000 Puohulihuli St., Kailua-Kona *Pet Friendly
– Waikoloa Elementary & Middle School, 68-1730 Hooko St., Waikoloa
Those who choose to relocate to a shelter should bring a three-day supply of medications and pet food (if applicable). Those who plan to stay overnight should bring personal blankets and pillows if possible.