KAILUA-KONA — The Hawaii County Department of Public Works has delivered sand to various locations around Hawaii Island ahead of the anticipated arrival of Tropical Storm Olivia.
Residents can go to any of the locations listed below to fill their own sandbags, the Hawaii County Civil Defense said Tuesday morning. Shovels and sandbags will not be provided so residents must bring their own materials.
The county said that heavy duty trash bags will work if residents are unable to find sandbags to fill.
Sand will be provided at the following locations:
• Shultz Siding, 630 E. Lanikaula St.
• Intersection of Mamalahoa Highway and Jardin Road
• Honokaa Base Yard, 45-3386 Mamane St.
• Cherry Trees (near Ke Ola Mau Loa Church), 65-1096 Mamalahoa Highway
• North Kohala Base Yard, 55-486 Hoea Road
• Waikoloa Community Park, 68-1845 Puu Nui St.
• Ane Keohokalole Highway, south of Kealakehe Parkway (Kailua-Kona side of Kealakehe High School)
• Captain Cook Base Yard, 79-7320 Kuakini Highway
• Yano Hall in Captain Cook, 82-6156 Mamalahoa Highway
• Waiohinu Base Yard, 95-1627 Kamaoa Road
• Pahala Park and Community Center, 96-1149 Kamani St.
• Puna Base Yard, 17-384 Volcano Road
• Puna Airfield Strip, 15-2501 Keaau Pahoa Road
*Sand piles located in base yard will only be available during business hours.
Civil Defense is monitoring the storm and will keep you informed of any changes that may affect your safety.
Thank you and have a safe day. This is your Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency.