Unattended candle cause of S. Kona structure fire

KAILUA-KONA — No injuries were reported after a late night fire in South Kona consumed a small structure, Tuesday night.

Hawaii Fire Department officials confirmed Wednesday they learned an unattended candle inside the building, which was used as an art studio was the igniting source.

ADVERTISING


The fire occurred in Captain Cook on the upper Napoopoo Road. Fire crews were called out at 10:18 p.m. When they arrived on scene, a 600-square-foot garage or studio was engulfed in flames.

According to a fire department press release, there were no occupants at the time of the fire.

“No exposures involved,” the release states. “Fire confined to the building of origin.”

Crews were called back to the scene Wednesday as a neighbor reported the structure was smoldering. While they were overhauling the area, the owners came by and confirmed they left a candle unattended in the structure, fire officials said.

ADVERTISING


Fire officials added there were a lot of flammables in the building since it was used as an art studio.

The fire resulted in $30,000 damage.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Star-Advertiser's TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email hawaiiwarriorworld@staradvertiser.com.