KAILUA-KONA — Charges against a 34-year-old Kailua-Kona man in a stabbing last month at a Kaiminani Drive home were dismissed on Wednesday.
Witnesses who were expected to testify at Drew Ikaika Camacho’s preliminary hearing didn’t show up on time, prompting the state to dismiss the case without prejudice, meaning charges can be refiled.
Deputy Prosecutor Chase Murray said he expects the state to still pursue charges, which could be through a grand jury.
“I think so,” he said. “We’ll meet with (the witnesses) and see which way to go.”
Camacho was arrested Nov. 4. He had been sought since the morning of Oct. 29 when he reportedly came to the home at 73-1392 Kaiminani Drive without the knowledge of the residents, a 42-year-old woman and a 31-year-old man, according to police. The three were acquaintances, and Camacho had previously been to the residence.
Camacho apparently assaulted the woman before the man intervened and was also assaulted. The woman reportedly suffered injuries to her head while the man suffered injuries to his head and shoulder area.
“Thank you very much, your honor,” Camacho said after District Judge Margaret Masunaga dismissed his second-degree assault and third-degree assault charges.
Bail, which had been set at $11,000, was canceled, although Camacho remained in custody on an unrelated charge following the hearing.
An aunt of Camacho, who didn’t want to give her name, said outside the courtroom that her nephew got caught up in drugs after going through difficult times in personal relationships. She said the Kaiminani Drive place was a known drug home and Camacho was a victim of theft, which prompted the Oct. 29 incident.
“I think at that point, he just took matters in his own hands, and got sick and tired of it,” she said.
After the alleged attack, the victims were taken by medics to Kona Community Hospital for treatment.
Police initially declined to provide additional details regarding the injuries or how they were inflicted, but did confirm that weapons were used in the incident.
On Wednesday, the witnesses did show up at the courthouse, but by then, the 2:30 p.m. hearing was over. Had they shown on time, the deputy prosecutor said the state would have proceeded.
“We would have definitely gone forward with a hearing,” Murray said.