Drowning averted at Kailua Village hotel

KAILUA-KONA — A 2-year-old girl is in stable condition after being pulled unresponsive from a hotel pool on Monday afternoon.

Police responded at 12:30 p.m. to a reported drowning at the Holiday Inn Express and Suites on Sarona Road in Kailua Village.

According to Alan Richmond, media and public relations liaison with the Hawaii Police Department, officers arrived to find medics treating a 2-year-old child who had ingested a large amount of pool water.

“Investigation revealed that the parents of the 2-year-old were gathering all their children out of the pool; however a miscommunication occurred and the 2-year-old was left unattended for a short period,” Richmond said.

The parents retrieved their daughter from the pool and contacted paramedics. She was later transported to the Kona Community Hospital by ambulance for observation.

ADVERTISING


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Star-Advertiser's TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email hawaiiwarriorworld@staradvertiser.com.