Henry Street to get facelift: County seeking bids for road work project

  • Henry St. from Queen Kaahumanu Hwy. to Kuakini Hwy. will be getting a facelift starting this fall. (Laura Ruminski/West Hawaii Today)

Henry Street from Kuakini Highway to Queen Kaahumanu Highway will be getting a facelift this fall.

A request for bids went out May 26, with a closing date of June 26 for the project consisting of asphalt concrete pavement reconstruction, traffic signal upgrades, pavement striping, adjusting manhole frame and covers, and adjusting utility valves and boxes.


Federal funds from the Surface Transportation Program will provide 80% of the project costs with the County paying for the remaining 20%. Estimated cost for the project is between $500,000 and $1.5 million, according to Department of Public Works Information and Education Specialist Denise Laitinen.

Work on the 1,800 foot road is estimated to begin November 13 with a completion date expected by June 7, 2021, or 151 calendar days.

Laitinen said traffic control has been included as part of the project plans and were designed to provide as minimal an impact as possible during construction. One lane in each direction is to remain open during construction.

No additional features will be added to the roadway.


Plans for the original construction of the street were finalized in 1990. After several delays and budget overruns, Henry Street from Palani Road to Kuakini Highway finally opened in November 1994.

“The County is looking forward to improving this important thoroughfare for West Hawaii residents,” said Laitinen.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Star-Advertiser's TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email hawaiiwarriorworld@staradvertiser.com.