“Unexpected equipment malfunctions” has prompted a water conservation notice for South Kohala Department of Water Supply customers.
Customers in Kawaihae, Kawaihae Harbor, Puako and Hapuna Beach, Mauna Kea Beach and Mauna Lani resorts areas are asked to reduce water use by 10% until further notice, according to the department’s notice issued at 11 a.m. Wednesday.
The department provided the following tips to help conserve water:
• Wash only full loads of laundry and dishes
• Check faucets and pipes for leaks
• Do not let water run when washing hands, shaving, or brushing teeth
• Reduce showering times
• Use water-saving devices whenever possible
• Use a broom instead of a water hose when gathering leaves and grass clippings
All affected water customers should limit water use for dust control and irrigate only during off-peak hours of 8 p.m. to 6 a.m.
For more information and updates, visit www.hawaiidws.org.