• Kupuna Singles happy hour, 3 p.m. at Ocean’s Sports Bar. Info: 640-7665.
• Kailua-Kona Seniors meeting, 10 a.m. at Hale Halawai. Patty Fish and Francie Faust will talk on seniors’ health issues.
• Rotary Club of Kona Sunrise meeting, 7 a.m. at Humpy’s Restaurant. Speaker Hannah Shipman, community outreach coordinator, Blue Planet Foundation will speak on Accelerating Hawaii Toward 100% Clean Energy. Info: Donna Urban-Higuchi, 938-5137.
• Kiwanis Club of Kailua-Kona will meet at 5:30 p.m. at the Regency Hualalai meeting room, 75-181 Hualalai Road, Kailua-Kona, 329-7878. All visiting Kiwanis and prospective members are invited to attend. Speaker will be Hannah Shipman, community outreach coordinator with Blue Planet Foundation. Info: KailuaKona4Kiwanis@gmail.com, Doug Payne, (909) 649-3516.
• “Won’t You Be My Neighbor” movie matinee, 2-4 p.m. at Kealakekua Public Library. Documentary paints a portrait of the life and work of children’s entertainer Fred Rogers star of “Mister Roger’s Neighborhood” who creatively communicated the themes of empathy and acceptance. Free popcorn, beverages allowed in closed containers. Info: www.folkhawaii.com, 323-7585.
• Community bike ride, 5 p.m. at Kona Old Airport Recreational Center, 75-5560 Kuakini Highway, Kailua-Kona. Join a great group for a fun, free, and easy bike ride. Get in a workout and enjoy the sunset. Everyone is welcome! Contact Claudia for more info, 491-9233.
• The last day for Kealakehe Elementary School’s Book Fair, which is open to the public from 2:15-4 p.m. in the school library. Buy a book for a favorite teacher or stock up for summer reading. For more info, call the library at 313-7931.
• Senior ID card giveaway, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Yano Hall, Kailua-Kona. Info: 323-4320.
• Friends of the Children of West Hawaii free activities for children, 4-6 p.m. at the Keauhou Shopping Center. Make lei for Memorial Day. Drop in for as long as you like, no need to stay all two hours. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org, 331-2425, or Facebook @FriendsWestHawaii.
• Join Mayor Harry Kim and his cabinet for a community forum on the proposed $583.9M 2019-2020 county budget, 6-8 p.m. at the West Hawaii Civic Center. Info: www.westhawaiiforum.org.
• Human trafficking in Hawaii town hall meeting, 6-8 p.m. at the Mana Christian Ohana meeting room, 67-1182 Lindsey Road, Waimea. Research discussion on how we can create safer communities.
* MAY 24
• The American Job Center Hawaii’s Job Fair, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Old Kona Airport Pavilion. Free and open to the public; bring resumes and dress professionally as interviews may be done on site. Businesses can contact the Office of Housing and Community Development at 961-8379 for more information or to request a registration packet.
* MAY 26
• Kona Choral Society presents “A musical journey: from Fauré to Maori to Hawaiian,” 4 p.m. at Sheraton Kona Resort &Spa. Tickets $25 for adults, $10 students, $50 for reserved seating. Tickets: konachoralsociety.org.
* MAY 28
• Cancer support group at Teshima’s Restaurant in Hanalo, 7 p.m. People newly diagnosed with cancer, cancer survivors, caregivers and supportive family members are also invited. Info: Shirley, 323-2732.
* MAY 29
• Senior ID card giveaway, 9 a.m. to noon, West Hawaii Civic Center – Building B, Kona. Info: 323-4320.
• Kailua-Kona Seniors meeting, 10 a.m. at the Hawaii Civic Center for free movie day, seniors 55 and up. “First Man,” about the first man on the moon, will be shown. No meeting at Hale Halawai.
* MAY 30
• Friends of the Children of West Hawaii free activities for children, 4-6 p.m. at the Keauhou Shopping Center. Learn how to fold origami! Drop in for as long as you like, no need to stay all two hours. Info: email@example.com, 331-2425, or Facebook @FriendsWestHawaii.
* JUNE 1
• Eighth annual Hawaii Island American Cancer Society Bark For Life canine event to fight cancer. Celebrate Relay For Life with the caregiving qualities of our four-legged loved ones! Registration 8 a.m., ceremonies 8:30-11 a.m. at Lili’uokalani Park &Gardens in Hilo. Bone scavenger hunt, agility presentation, dog fashion show and more. Info and registration: http://www.relayforlife.org/barkhilohi or Sarah Luchenbill at 935-9763.
* JUNE 6
* Daifukuji Orchid Club hosting a guest speaker at our meeting on June 12 at the Daifukuji Hall, 79-7241 Mamalahoa Highway in Kealakekua. Dinner is at 6:30 p.m. with the presentation and meeting to follow. Free. The speaker will be Karen Kimmerle, who has been growing orchids for over 40 years, first as a hobbyist then as a commercial venture. She is also active in the Hilo Orchid Society and is an accredited judge with the American Orchid Society. Her talk is called “Vanda Culture in Hawaii.”
* JUNE 20
• Kupuna Singles lunch, 11:30 a.m. at Chubby’s in the bowling alley. Info: 937-9732.