Panic never forgotten
The people of Hawaii will never forget the panic we felt during the false missile alert and we will never forget exactly where we were when it happened.
I’ll always remember where I was and what I heard. I live in an apartment building and as if on queue my neighbors and I poked our heads into the hallway asking each other “Is this for real?” We agreed we all heard the same alert message, “Incoming missiles; take immediate shelter.” Then way down at the end of the hallway our kupuna neighbor asked us, “Does everyone know Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior?” That profound question stopped us in our tracks. No one rolled their eyes, got mad or started a debate. It humbled us.
I don’t know how many others thought about their eternal destiny during those critical minutes. But I’m guessing it was more than a few. It’s the most important decision you will ever make.
Taking her to task
Thank you Dorothy Walsh for bringing that “greeter” at the Kona DMV to everybody’s attention.
I, and many of my friends, had the same experience with this woman and we can not understand why anybody with her attitude is still working there, especially in a publicly funded office.
I agree with everything in your article and hope somebody at the DMV has the guts to change a lot of things, or maybe we should take the problem to a higher level.
False missile alert top 10 solutions
10. Massively investigate Russian hacking of the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency!
9. Offer Kim Jong-un a free annual Hawaii vacation for as long as we live!
8. No high-tech alerts, just have officials wave their arms wildly and shout from the roof, “We don’t know what we’re doing!”
7. Switch to progressive alerts like, “Missile Watch,” “Missile Advisory,” “Missile Warning” and finally “Missile Kaboom!”
6. Make sure our sewers are clean and well stocked!
5. Extend rail to California so everybody can evacuate!
4. Give Ige a cereal box decoder ring with emergency passwords so he won’t forget again!
3. Install alert-triggered medicinal marijuana dispensers everywhere in case of panic!
2. Push button by committee (also include a token Republican member so any “watchdog” input can be ignored)!
1. Hire people that give a damn instead of only the politically connected!